|| Jack W. Chappell
1050 Umstead Drive
Raleigh, NC 27603
2019 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, N.C. 27699-2019
The Program/Benefit Payments Section is responsible for the accounting functions related to funding of local government agencies and nonprofit entities that receive state and federal funding from Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). In addition, the Section is responsible for development of all related subsystems in support of local program/benefit financial management within DHHS, development and dissemination of financial reporting requirements via procedure correspondence and manual material and is responsible for technical assistance to the local governmental agencies and nonprofit entities that receive funding from this department. This section is also responsible for E-Commerce initiatives such as Electronic Funds Transfers and other electronic benefits.
TEAM A -- Bob Duke, Branch Head -- (919) 527-6094
The DVR/DSB/DMHDDSAS/BEFA/E-Commerce Branch is responsible for three units:
- The DVR/DSB/DSDHH unit performs the accounting functions necessary to process payments to providers of various client services to eligible clients of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) in the Rehabilitation and Independent Living programs, the Division of Services for the Blind (DSB) in the Rehabilitation, Medical Eye Care, and Independent Living programs, and the Division of Services for the Deaf and the Hard of Hearing (DSDHH) in the Community Resources and Telecommunications Resources programs.
- The DMHDDSAS/DPH/BEFA unit performs limited cash management and general ledger functions associated with the payment activities within the NCTracks claims payment system on behalf of the Division of Mental Health Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services (DMHDDSAS) and Division of Public Health (DPH). It also performs accounts payable activities within the North Carolina Accounting System (NCAS) for contract agreements related to client services for DMHDDSAS and DVR, assists in the annual update of audit compliance supplements, and coordinates the year end confirmation of payments to local government and non-governmental entities. The Business Enterprise Facilities Accounting Unit (BEFA) is responsible for all accounting functions and/or maintenance of accounting records for the individuals licensed to operate a for-profit vending facility business within the DSB Business Enterprise Program (BEP).
- The E-Commerce unit administers the contract with the EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) vendor who maintains debit card accounts for North Carolina Food and Nutrition Services benefit recipients. EBT is the technological structure that supports the delivery and usage of Food and Nutrition Services benefits in an electronic environment. The E-Commerce unit administers the contract with the Child Support Centralized Collections Operation (CCO) vendor. The CCO is a lock box operation that utilizes a state-of-the-art imaging system to process child support payments (checks, money orders and/or cash). The E-Commerce unit has responsibility for directing the DHHS Electronic Funds Transfer initiative. Currently, the E-Commerce Branch is working with the Division of Social Services on projects involving the receipt and distribution of child support payments via several EFT methods, direct depositing of child support payments, as well as a project for the direct depositing of Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) benefits to NC recipients with bank accounts. Additionally, the E-Commerce Branch is working with various DHHS Divisions on the use of credit and/or debit cards for receivables.
TEAM B Debbie Hawkins, Branch Head (919) 527-6122
The DSS/DAAS/DMA/DHSR Branch is responsible for three units:
- The DAAS/DMA/DHSR Unit is responsible for the reimbursement to the Area Agencies on Aging (AAA), Council of Governments (COG), not-for-profits and other government agencies for the Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS), the Division of Health Services Regulation (DHSR), and annual Medicaid Cost Settlement payments for the Division of Medical Assistance (DMA). It also processes and makes program contract payments for the Division of Social Services (DSS), Division of Mental Health (DMH) and Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR).
- The County Administration Accounting Unit is responsible for the processing, review, and reimbursement to local departments of social services for administrative expenditures on behalf of the State Division of Social Services (DSS).
- The Public Assistance Accounting Unit is responsible for the processing and accounting for client benefit payments for the DSS.
TEAM C Lem Harris, Branch Head (919) 527-6136
Child Day Care - Central Administration - Early Intervention and Education/Public Health (CDC-CA/Health)
The CDC-CA/Health Branch is responsible for two units:
- The Child Day Care - Central Administration (CDC-CA) Unit makes payments for subsidized child care, nonprofit contracts, including, Smart Start payments for the Division of Child Development and Early Education (DCDEE) and the NC Pre-K program (formerly known as More at Four). The CDC-CA Unit also processes all of the program payments for the former Office of Economic Opportunity (now administered by the Division of Social Services (DSS) and the Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS)). The Central Administration program payments are on the behalf of the Council of Developmental Disabilities and the Office of Rural Health and Community Care.
- The Health Payments Unit is responsible for program payments for the Division of Public Health (DPH) to the local county health department/districts (LHD), various nonprofit contractors, individual contractors, WIC administration payments to LHD, Child and Adult Food Program (CACFP), and the Summer Food Program (SFSP).
January 27, 2014