Skip all navigation Skip to page navigation

DHHS Home | A-Z Site Map | Get Updates | Divisions | About Us | Contacts | En Español

NC Department of Health and Human Services Division of Services for the Blind

Services for Older Adults Aged 55+

Independent Living Rehabilitation

What Services are Provided?

Adjustment to Vision Loss

We offer many services to assist you in adjusting to your vision loss and learning to live independently and safely in your home and community. Services include:

  • Counseling
  • Information and referral to other resources
  • Instruction in cooking, handwriting, use of the phone, and other areas
  • Leisure and Recreation Activities

One of our Social Workers or Independent Living Rehabilitation Counselors can assist you in these areas.

Safe Travel

Moving around your home and community freely and safely is very important after vision loss. We can provide you and your family with instruction in safe travel. A Social Worker for the Blind or Independent Living Rehabilitation Counselors can refer you to our Certified Orientation & Mobility Instructors.

Low Vision and Adaptive Aids

If you have lost vision, items such as timers with enlarged numbers, talking clocks, paper with darker lines, adapted cooking utensils and magnifiers make routine tasks easier. We can talk with you about the things that you have difficulty doing and try to identify aids that will assist you. Assistance in purchasing some aids may be available. For more information, contact our staff in your local Department of Social Services or in our district office.

Managing Your Environment

Another key to adjusting to life with limited vision involves managing the environment. Learning to make and organize items, marking appliance dials, and controlling lighting are among things that our Social Workers for the Blind or Independent Living Rehabilitation Counselors can help you with in your home.

Rehabilitation Center for the Blind

The Center offers a one week program annually. Specialized training can be arranged at the Center in areas such as Braille and computer technology. An Independent Living Rehabilitation Counselor can provide more information and times for these programs.

Community-Based Classes

Classes called "Mini-Centers" are provided by our Independent Living Rehabilitation Counselor at various times. Small groups meet weekly and receive information and instruction in performing routine activities.

Job-Related Services

Vocational Rehabilitation Services may assist you in continuing or returning to work.

Who is Eligible

Any North Carolina resident, age 55 or older, whose significant visual impairment makes competitive employment extremely difficult to attain who needs independent living services to remain independent in their home and community is eligible.

How to Apply

An Independent Living Rehabilitation Counselor in one of our district offices will meet with you. The Counselor will explain the services, assist with completing the application forms and process.

Contact DSB

Find your DSB District Offices
Phone: 1 (866) 222-1546
Spanish: 1 (800) 662-7030

Your Rights

The Client Assistance Program (CAP) helps people with disabilities in understanding and using independent living rehabilitation services. CAP is available to negotiate with individuals and with the agency if a disagreement occurs about a decision that cannot be resolved by talking with the DSB Independent Living Rehabilitation Counselor and the Counselor’s supervisor. For more information, contact: N.C. Client Assistance Program (919) 855-3600 (Voice or TTY), toll free at 1 (800) 215-7227, or by email at


top Ready NC Connect NC