Skip all navigation Skip to page navigation

DHHS Home | A-Z Site Map | Divisions | About Us | Contacts | En Español

NC Department of Health and Human Services Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services

Driving While Impaired (DWI) Services


In North Carolina, people convicted of DWI must get a substance abuse assessment. Then they must complete either an education or treatment program. The Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services oversees this process.

dwiTo get your driver's license re-instated after it is revoked because of a DWI, you must have completed a Substance Abuse Assessment and completed whatever steps recommended by the assessment.

All assessments must be conducted in person by a qualified or certified substance abuse professional. That person should see you and test you. You are required to bring your court papers to the assessment. The assessor must have a copy of your "Complete Driving History" from DMV.

Depending on the assessment, you will need to:

  • Complete the education program or the recommended treatment,
  • Treatment fees vary by provider and average $18 per hour.

Assessments must follow American Society of Addiction Medicine criteria (ASAM) to decide your needs. If you are not given a diagnosis, you will be referred to an education program. NOTE: When pulled over, anyone failing to submit to a breath test and anyone registering over 0.14% must be referred to treatment.

The provider is required to inform you of other local providers who offer the service you need. The provider may not charge a fee to transfer your case to another in-state provider. However, providers may charge for special services and for handling out of state cases.



State of North Carolina Home Page