Skip all navigation Skip to page navigation

DHHS Home | A-Z Site Map | Divisions | About Us | Contacts | En Español

NC Department of Health and Human Services Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services

Driving While Impaired (DWI) Services

For Those Who Live Outside of North Carolina

If You Live Outside of NC

National Directory - DWI Services Contacts for Each State | State DMVs | Out of State Letter | Getting your NC Driving Records | Questions?

If you live outside of North Carolina and:

  • Have been convicted of a DWI (Driving While Impaired) in North Carolina, or
  • Have been convicted of driving while less than 21 years old after consuming alcohol or other drugs in North Carolina,

In order to get your license back, you must complete a substance abuse assessment, and recommended education or treatment. If you complete a substance abuse assessment and the required substance abuse education or treatment outside of North Carolina, you must choose a North Carolina DWI services provider to review and approve it. So that you will be clear as to what North Carolina’s requirements are, it is best to contact a North Carolina provider before you begin your services.

Locate Authorized Assessment and Education Services
Look for those Providing Out of State Review

The authorized North Carolina DWI provider will complete the review, process the information, and complete a Certificate of Completion (e-508 form) in order to resolve the outstanding DWI offense on your North Carolina record. You should receive a copy of the Certificate of Completion from the provider to keep for your records.

Note: As there is no mandated fee for out-of-state reviews, the fee may differ among providers. Any authorized DWI service provider in North Carolina can be selected to do the “Out of State Review,” regardless of the location of the provider. Ready NC Connect NC